Value Added Tax (VAT) is a charge on taxable goods or services you provide in Kenya. It also applies to the importation of goods and services within the tax bracket. The rate of VAT in Kenya is 16% for most goods and services.
File VAT by following the steps below.
- Visit the iTax portal and click the ‘forms’ option to download VAT return excel format. Excel version on the downloadable sheet is more convenient than Open Document Format that sometimes fails to function.
- Fill the downloaded spreadsheet accurately. Fill in all the tabs and make any necessary collections.
- Create a zip file and save it in a folder for uploading.
- Upload the zip file by login into https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/ to access the company profile
- Click ‘e-Returns from the navigation menu or select ‘returns’ and click File Returns.
- Select the type, type taxpayer’s pin, and select ‘VAT’ as the tax obligation. Click next.
- Fill in all details like type of return, entity, branch name, and period of return on the return filing page. The system allows for monthly returns one at a time.
- Click upload and select the generated zip file
- Tick the checkbox to show you agree with the terms and conditions
- Click submit button to upload the VAT returns in Zip file and click OK
- If the file has no errors, the iTax system will display a message showing that the ‘return submitted successfully’ and follow up with an acknowledgment number. Use the available link to download a returns receipt.
You can use the KRA portal to file other returns such as;
How to File KRA Returns on Kenya Revenue Authority iTax system